Sunday, September 30, 2007

Puppies!!!

While sampling wastewater treatment plants in the Yakima area last week, I came across a litter of seven puppies at the town of Mabton plant. Weird huh? Mabton's animal services consists of several outdoor cages were they put stray or unwanted dogs. If no one claims them within in a few days, they "put them down" by shooting them! Can you believe that? I also noticed that all the dogs at Mabton were neglected. Their water bowls were missing or dry and their food was just thrown at their cages. Appalling!

I had to visit the plant several times for sampling and each time these puppies pulled at my heart strings. I finally asked about them and the staff told me they were planning to put them all down. So, I made room in my work van, acquired some boxes, put the pups in the boxes, and took them home with me to Olympia!

So for two days I had seven very needy puppies. They kept me up most of the nights and I was constantly cleaning up poop and chasing them around. Fortunately, Eric, my mom, and our friends and neighbors were supportive and kept me sane. We were able to find a really nice no-kill shelter in Ocean Shores (NorthBeach PAWs) where my mom and I took them on Saturday. The pups are now doing really great!

Eric holding a wet puppy. The pups needed a bath because they were covered in dirt and poop. Our neighbors, Jeff and Merey, graciously helped us with a late night puppy washing brigade.


The puppies did so good with their baths!

Drying and warming up the pups after their baths.


Here are the clean and cuddly pups!


These two were the only short hairs. They also looked different from the other five long-haired puppies.





Here are the pups at the PAWs shelter. They were being curious about an adult dog who was barking at the puppies.



Here's one of the long-hair pups with a new collar. They all got collars, names, and shots that same day I dropped them off. I really hope they get good homes. They are awesome pups! Message here: Spay and neuter your animals and volunteer or donate to your local shelter.

2 comments:

Myles-Era Family said...

Brandee.

We are SO proud of you! What a wonderful story of personal conviction and action.

You ROCK!

Grant, Ronna and the beans. x x

Viv Ross said...

Hi Brandee~
What a wonderful thing you have done! I just want you to know how very, very proud I am of you! :-) Love, Auntie Viv